- Anti-malware (such as spyware, adware)
- Registry cleaners
We list our favorite programs, such as a new entry on our list: Microsoft Security Essentials -- which has proven to be a good anti-virus program. Below is an excerpt.
Please let us know your favorite pc cleanup programs.
Anti-Virus - these are currently our favorite free antivirus programs:
- Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) - with version 2, Microsoft has made MSE2 the leader in free antivirus programs. We still like Avast as well, and we are testing both programs.
- Avast - a very good anti-virus program; we particularly like the boot scan, which has caught programs that load
- AVG comes in at third-place but is still a good antivirus program.
Anti-Malware (cleans spyware, adware & tracking cookies from your pc)
- WinPatrol - a good program to prevent unwanted programs from jumping into your start-up programs, etc.
- Advanced System Care - this is a good general all-purpose cleaner. Includes anti-malware, file clean-up, registry cleaner, defrag.
- SuperAntiSpyware - our favorite cleaner, although it is over-exuberant cleaning cookies. You may elect to allow known "good" cookies to remain on your system.
- SpyBot Search & Destroy - a good malware cleaner as well.