- Verizon's 4G LTE service is expected to be the largest and fastest 4G network. In tests, Verizon has claimed download speeds of 6Mbps - 12 Mbps.
- As a comparison, 3G speeds average 700 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps.
- Verizon has 4G service available in some areas -- but only for the laptop aircards.
- Verizon unveiled smartphones that can access 4G data -- but those will probably not be available for several months. Verizon's COO said that 4G handsets would be available at the end of the 1st quarter of 2011, but other sources, including the Wall St. Journal have said that mid-year is a better bet.
- Verizon is expected to launch 4G in 38 markets and then have it available to 2/3 of its customers within 18 months.
- AT&T is said to be rolling out its own 4G LTE service for smartphones by June or July of 2011.
- T-Mobile's HSPA+ service has download speeds averaging 3-7 Mbps.
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
4G Coming Soon
We recently reviewed Sprint's 4G service for smartphones. 4G service is supposed to have speeds of up to 10x that of 3G. Here is the latest we have heard about other 4G service being rolled out: